Friday, July 26, 2013

It's already been a week!!!

I can't believe I've already been here for one week and only have 15 left. The first week was so amazing and has made me truly love this country. It's much different than what I had imagined a South American country would be like, but it has not fallen short of any expectations I had.
Before I start with a summary of what I have learned since being here about this country and showing more pictures of this beautiful country that I will never be able to express in my horrendous photo taking skills, I need to express the grief I have felt this week and show my gratitude for those I lost. This week my dog passed away. My baby boy Jack, for all who know me, was my everything. It was very tragic for me and made me realize how far away I truly was. Also, within a day of each other was the first year mark of losing my grandfather whom I lost tragically while I was in Spain last year. I have decided that this week in the future is cursed and I probably shouldn't leave the country. So this post is dedicated in loving memory of two of the most important people/dogs in my life. The dog who wished he could come and the man who always told me to chase my dreams. I love you both.

My love bug Jack
Michael Sebastian Cimino or Papa

Now, on to the stuff that I'm suppose to be talking about. I learned a lot this week about the culture and how the country works. Here are a few things that I have noticed:
  • First, the people don't smile at you, open doors for you, or help you in public. In fact, you should slam the doors on people trying to walk into your building with you in case they are just trying to follow you in. And if someone looks sick or hurt it's a scam so don't help them. This is because people believe that acts of kindness are a setup to be robbed.
  • Second, they eat hardly any food and the meals have so much time in between each other. I'm always starving. So I'll probably come back looking like a skeleton.
  • Third, just like in Spain staring is completely normal. Which I appreciate just as much as I did in Spain. I like to look at people! People watching is so fun and it's so rude in the United States to stare directly at someone. But people are sooo interesting so as long as I'm here I'm gonna stare.
  • Fourth, they are very passionate about their politics. Every night at dinner my host mom and I watch this political channel and she tells me what is going on and we discuss both sides of what is happening. 
  • Fifth, they love their soccer and I am SOOOOOO happy! I'm gonna make it to a game for sure! 
  • Sixth, most of their food is Italian which was a little shocking for me because I was expecting some sort of new and exciting food when I came to South America but it's just like being home and eating my Papa's food. 
  • Seventh, the people don't smell terrible here thank goodness. And they all dress very nicely. 
  • Eighth, the coffee is amazing. That's probably my favorite part...well a close second.
  • Ninth, in the clubs they don't "grind" or even touch each other. It's very interesting. To be honest, for a country where the guys are so bold with girls it's very shocking that it's inappropriate to touch each other when dancing.
  • And lastly, it's not as scary as people made it out to be. Granted you have to be careful and pay attention, it's not terrible. The problems here are due to poverty and crimes are usually theft. Yes, that's not the best crime (if you can say there is a good form of crime), but it's also not the worst. I'd take theft over kidnapping any day.
There is so much I could say about this country. That list would never end. Tomorrow will be the first time I do something terribly touristy by visiting historical places so I'll have plenty of pictures of a different part of the city after that. For now here are a few more that display my great ability at capturing the moment (that was sarcasm)!
I don't know where this is...we sorta just walked and found it.

A portrait of Evita on a building.

This would be ketchup, milk, jelly, and cheese. It took me a long time to find the milk in the fridge because I was NOT expecting that green plastic thing with a bag in it to be the milk. Then I couldn't figure out how to pour it, and when I did it went everywhere...such a struggle. 

My super duper awesome local phone.

Looks a lot like L.A. with the graffiti and buildings.

Some of my friends in my group.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer back in the states! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment