Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Falling in love...with Buenos Aires

Hey all,
Since the last time I've posted on here so much has happened. Mostly I've been a tourist and seen different parts of town such as Recoleta, San Telmo, China Town, and Canitas. Every time I turn a corner there is something to see or a building that takes my breath away. But my friend Rin and I were talking today about this city and how much it has really grown on us. I'm not sure if I LOVED this city right away the way I have other places I've been, but in this moment I really LOVE this city. The more I explore the more I realize how beautiful this place is. The more people I meet the more I realize how kind and nice the people here really are. Sometimes the people and place come across as sort of cold and unfriendly, but I think it has a lot to do with their safety.
Here's a good story for an example:
Two nights ago Rin and I went to a cafe near our houses to go through guide books and map out all the places within Buenos Aires we want to see and sort of just make sure we fit everything in during our time here (since this city is simply GINORMOUS). But during our talk a very drunk and creepy old man named Oscar decided to pull up his chair and talk to us. We ignored him but he just kept talking so we sorta just stopped and listened. He started talking about how he wanted to take our pictures to give to the police or something, how he was legal and we were legal so this would all be legal, and that we were all going to win in this situation. And to be honest I still am not sure what type of situation he was talking about. But the cafe that was really noisy became eerily quiet while this man was speaking to us. Eventually we got him to leave and the lady next to us in her best English goes, "Be careful you two. Pay attention." Immediately after this the guy behind the bar comes over and apologizes tremendously and confirms us that he is not typical for an Argentine and that they really aren't like that. We laughed with the bar man and two older ladies for a while talking in Spanish about what had happened and I realized in that moment that even though no one stepped in and helped us, they were all aware of what was happening.
They have to think of themselves first in this country and protect themselves. I was wondering why no one was helping us while this man was touching my friend and being inappropriate, but then I realized if it had escalated I know the people who got quiet and listened would have stepped in. They look out for themselves in this country and I get that! They aren't cold but in public they are cautious. I went to a local house party on Saturday night and girls in the bathroom were dying to try to speak English to me and Rin and asking so many questions and we laughed. Just like I would with my girl friends in the bathroom in the United States. And the guys are actually very sweet. My friends and I talked to a group of guys all night and have made friends. They want to know you just as much as you want to know them. It just has a lot to do with the situation you are in. I can honestly say in Spain I NEVER tried to make local friends and never really talked to local people unless I was in a bar or club, and those aren't the best situations to judge character. I bet if I had paid more attention in Spain and had not treated it like a giant party I would have seen much of the same things I see here. With all this said, I think I'm finally understanding this place and it's helping me to really see the beauty in everything around me. I'm so happy here and am making some amazing memories.
I also started school on Monday. First time I've ever been to school in a 20 story high rise where every classroom has the most insane view ever! One classroom I can see the Atlantic ocean and boats and in others I see the skyline of all of Buenos Aires. It's just simply incredible. I have great teachers and great classes, so my last semester of ungrad is going to be unforgettable and fabulous. I have a few pictures to share so I hope you enjoy them!

This would be me in the Recoleta Cemetary. We went back to it and spent a few hours walking around since the first time we only saw one row of mausoleums. This place is huge and houses some of the most famous people in Argentine history. Some of them are a little creepy though...

This is Luis Marie Campos, the man the street Rin and I live on is named after. Of course we have to take a picture with this.

This would be Eva Peron's mausoleum. Or better known as Evita. The anniversary of her death was two days before so there were tons of flowers and people rubbing her face and crying. It was cute.

This would be Lexie, Rin, Charlie, and I messing around on Saturday. Basically we were the annoying Americans the entire day. Will is missing from this picture because he was taking it, but the five of us had a great time exploring the city that day.

This is Floris Generica which is a giant metal flower that opens and closes at night and in the morning. It's a gift from the United States, and was pretty awesome to see in person actually.

This is just one of those really cool awesome buildings you see when you are walking around. Beautiful.

This is a view from one of my classrooms. Simply incredible.

Well, that's the end of this post. I hope you are all enjoying your summer and the warm weather since I'm stuck in winter AGAIN! If any of you are trying to reach me I have Facebook messenger on my phone, but otherwise contact is really limited. Take care, and of course I miss you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment